« Home | "The Bait" - Matthew 15 » | FREE Lunch! - Matthew 14 » | Wheat & Tares - Matthew 13 » | We've Got The Power! - Matthew 8 » | "Layahs" - Matthew 7 » | Willing Men-Fishers - Matthew 4 » | True Wildman! - Matthew 3 » | Wise Guys - Matthew 2 » | God With Us! - Matthew 1 » | Worms Among Us! - Jude » 

« Home | "The Bait" - Matthew 15 » | FREE Lunch! - Matthew 14 » | Wheat & Tares - Matthew 13 » | We've Got The Power! - Matthew 8 » | "Layahs" - Matthew 7 » | Willing Men-Fishers - Matthew 4 » | True Wildman! - Matthew 3 » | Wise Guys - Matthew 2 » | God With Us! - Matthew 1 » | Worms Among Us! - Jude »

The Big Picture - Matthew 16

After all these years of on-again/off-again, God has been calling me to a serious relationship with Him. And, when it comes to a serious Christian walk, there are two verses in this chapter that provide such a wealth of knowledge for success. Not to say that they're easy, quite the contrary. But there is so much treasure buried within these two verses:

25 If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for me, you will find true life.

Everything in our nature - in our culture, in our minds - cries out for us to live for "number one" and "climb the ladder of success" and "play to win" and "(insert favorite power cliche here)." Yet, Jesus is encouraging us to lay our lives down at His feet - to loose our lives to find true life. Jesus asks a huge question.

26 And how do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul in the process? Is anything worth more than your soul?

Drink that in for a while. In view of eternity, we're here for such a short time (vapor in the wind, withering flower, etc.). I'm reminded today in Matthew 16 to remember "the big picture" and resist the temptation to accumulate "stuff" and be distracted by my internal feelings to "get ahead" or "get justice."

My only focus should be: live for Jesus. For my family, for my employer, for my friends, this is what I'm tasked with. And the only way I can do that is to die to self every day, put on the full armor of God and keep accountable to my friends in the reading of His Word and in prayer.

I'm reminded of Matthew 6:33:

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Thank You, Lord, for this good word today.

peace,
e

About me

  • I'm Jaqua (Jāy 'Quāy)
  • From Tampa, Florida, United States
My profile

Reading Schedule

9/22/2006 - Esther 10
9/23/2006 - Psalms 24
9/24/2006 - Psalms 25
.
.
9/30/2006 - Psalms 31
10/1/2006 - COMING SOON!
Search the Bible:


  HELP