« Home | The Cost of Disobedience - Joshua 7 » | Right Away, No Delay! - Joshua 6 » | So the World Will Know - Joshua 4 » | Bring Out The BIG GUNS! - Joshua 3 » | Your Reputation Preceeds You - Joshua 2 » | Want to be successful? - Joshua 1 » | Pssssst - Want to know a Secret? - Ephesians 3 » | Bounce Back Spirit - Ephesians 2 » | Power Source - Ephesians 1 » | God Filled - Exodus 40 » 

« Home | The Cost of Disobedience - Joshua 7 » | Right Away, No Delay! - Joshua 6 » | So the World Will Know - Joshua 4 » | Bring Out The BIG GUNS! - Joshua 3 » | Your Reputation Preceeds You - Joshua 2 » | Want to be successful? - Joshua 1 » | Pssssst - Want to know a Secret? - Ephesians 3 » | Bounce Back Spirit - Ephesians 2 » | Power Source - Ephesians 1 » | God Filled - Exodus 40 »

Kissin' Cousins - Joshua 15

In this chapter, the Lord tells Joshua to assign some of Judah's territory to Caleb. I found the account of Caleb and his plan for provision for his daughter quite interesting in this chapter:

16 Caleb said, "I will give my daughter Acsah in marriage to the one who attacks and captures Kiriath-sepher." 17 Othniel, the son of Caleb's brother Kenaz, was the one who conquered it, so Acsah became Othniel's wife.
I think it's quite clever of Caleb to have done this to provide for his daughter. First, he is assuring that the husband of his daughter, the winning warrior, would have to be clever in battle to drive out those in Kiriath-sepher. Second, he is assuring that his daughter will remain nearby in the land that borders his own.

I find it interesting how Caleb's daughter makes an additional request for the springs:
18 When Acsah married Othniel, she urged him to ask her father for an additional field. As she got down off her donkey, Caleb asked her, "What is it? What can I do for you?" 19 She said, "Give me a further blessing. You have been kind enough to give me land in the Negev; please give me springs as well." So Caleb gave her the upper and lower springs.
This new territory was a barren land, so Acsah asked her new warrior-husband to ask for water or access to the springs nearby. There's not much to go on here, but I was impressed by Acsah's foresight and wisdom to ask for access to the springs. Apparently Othniel thought it wise to have her ask her dad herself. She did and Caleb gave them the upper springs and the ether springs as well, setting up for them a wonderful inheritance.

Because she was wise to ask, she and her new husband were blessed. I'm reminded of the scripture we read a few months ago in Luke 11:11-13:
11 "You fathers – if your children ask for a fish, do you give them a snake instead? 12 Or if they ask for an egg, do you give them a scorpion? Of course not! 13 If you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him."
I'm impressed with Caleb's thinking and provision. We always hear about how men and sons are blessed. I appreciate this chapter because I'm always looking for ways to bless my daughters.

Lord, thank you for this encouragement today. I continue to pray for my daughters who have been such a blessing to me. Help me to be the father they need and be able to bless them when the appropriate time comes. Provide the wisdom and the resources to be able to take Caleb's example and bless my girls. I continue to pray for the men who will be their husbands some day. Protect, guide and mold them into everything You intend for them, then give them and my daughters the wisdom and patience to find each other.

peace,
e

About me

  • I'm Jaqua (Jāy 'Quāy)
  • From Tampa, Florida, United States
My profile

Reading Schedule

9/22/2006 - Esther 10
9/23/2006 - Psalms 24
9/24/2006 - Psalms 25
.
.
9/30/2006 - Psalms 31
10/1/2006 - COMING SOON!
Search the Bible:


  HELP