« Home | Rejoice Not! - Proverbs 24 » | The Victory Belongs to the Lord - Proverbs 21 » | Road Forks - Proverbs 20 » | The Planning Meeting - Proverbs 19 » | We Need Friends - Proverbs 18 » | Cover Over An Offense - Proverbs 17 » | Fear of the Lord = Life - Proverbs 14 » | Bad Company - Proverbs 13 » | The Perfect Man? - Proverbs 12 » | Prosperity Through Generosity - Proverbs 11 » 

« Home | Rejoice Not! - Proverbs 24 » | The Victory Belongs to the Lord - Proverbs 21 » | Road Forks - Proverbs 20 » | The Planning Meeting - Proverbs 19 » | We Need Friends - Proverbs 18 » | Cover Over An Offense - Proverbs 17 » | Fear of the Lord = Life - Proverbs 14 » | Bad Company - Proverbs 13 » | The Perfect Man? - Proverbs 12 » | Prosperity Through Generosity - Proverbs 11 »

Death & Destruction - Proverbs 27

I've said it before, I'm a news junkie...particularly when there's something huge going on in the world. Currently, of course, my browser and my TV are set to news channels that are covering the Israel / Hezbollah situation over in Lebanon and the Israel / Hamas situation in Gaza.

I find myself wondering how things would be different if I lived in an area like Israel and this was happening to me and my family. What if Chicago and New York City received a rocket or two? I usually spend too much time just watching the news reports and the videos of what's going on.

Today in my reading, I came across this:
20 Death and Destruction are never satisfied, and neither are the eyes of man.
At first, I applied it to what's happening in the Middle East. It's clear that the terrorist organizations such as Hezbollah, Hamas and Al-Qaida are bent on death and destruction. Some say the Palestinians just want their own land, but it seems to me that the radical Islamists will only be satisfied until the Muslim religion is the only one left and that everyone is converted to Islam. Then what will they war about?

Then, upon further meditating, it occured to me that my eyes might be more what this is about. Could my fascination (obsession?) with watching the news reports about the IDF and the IAF bombing runs be what this verse is talking about?
Certainly, watching the news brings me little satisfaction. More often than not, it brings me anxiety and distraction from what I need to be doing. And, it's not like I can do anything about it. I'm too old to join the armed forces and I have things here I've been given to take care of.

Instead, I need to be looking at what God has given and how to take care of those relationships. Today's chapter also has some valuable advise for this:
23 Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your herds; 24 for riches do not endure forever, and a crown is not secure for all generations. 25 When the hay is removed and new growth appears and the grass from the hills is gathered in, 26 the lambs will provide you with clothing, and the goats with the price of a field. 27 You will have plenty of goats' milk to feed you and your family and to nourish your servant girls.
Granted, I don't have servant girls or goats - but if you look at this from a different perspective, we do have things God has given us to give careful attention to: our families and our communities.

I'm going to be working on turning off that TV and that talk radio when I need to be doing other things. We just need to trust Him that He is aware of what's happening across the globe.


peace,

e

About me

  • I'm Jaqua (Jāy 'Quāy)
  • From Tampa, Florida, United States
My profile

Reading Schedule

9/22/2006 - Esther 10
9/23/2006 - Psalms 24
9/24/2006 - Psalms 25
.
.
9/30/2006 - Psalms 31
10/1/2006 - COMING SOON!
Search the Bible:


  HELP