« Home | "Listen to Him" - Matthew 17 » | The Big Picture - Matthew 16 » | "The Bait" - Matthew 15 » | FREE Lunch! - Matthew 14 » | Wheat & Tares - Matthew 13 » | We've Got The Power! - Matthew 8 » | "Layahs" - Matthew 7 » | Willing Men-Fishers - Matthew 4 » | True Wildman! - Matthew 3 » | Wise Guys - Matthew 2 » 

« Home | "Listen to Him" - Matthew 17 » | The Big Picture - Matthew 16 » | "The Bait" - Matthew 15 » | FREE Lunch! - Matthew 14 » | Wheat & Tares - Matthew 13 » | We've Got The Power! - Matthew 8 » | "Layahs" - Matthew 7 » | Willing Men-Fishers - Matthew 4 » | True Wildman! - Matthew 3 » | Wise Guys - Matthew 2 »

Childlike = Humility = Greatness - Matthew 18


Childlike.

What comes to mind when you read the following passage from Matthew 18?

3 Then he said, "I assure you, unless you turn from your sins and become as little children, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven. 4 Therefore, anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven."

There have been many times in my life when I've become "childish" but I don't think that's what Jesus is talking about here. To become "child-like" requires you to closely observe children. It's a bit easier for those of us who have children. But, we've all been children, so try to think back...

The thing that comes to mind is a total trust. Perhaps because they have to depend on others for their every need (food, shelter, security, etc.) or perhaps because they have yet to experience a reason NOT to trust, they approach life with hope and anticipation. I never remember wondering if my parents would provide my clothes or my food or my shelter - I just woke up in the morning and did what children do!

Let's turn it around. How would we, as parents, feel if our 4 year old got up in the morning and was panicked because they didn't know if they would have a warm coat to wear. "It's going to be very cold tomorrow and what if I don't have a coat?!" What if they started crying and sobbing, "What if I don't have any food tonight to eat?!" How would you feel? Would you feel angry and wonder what basis they have for asking those questions? Would you feel sad to see them worried and in a panic?

How do you think God feels when He sees us all in a tizzy and generating elaborate "what-if" scenarios?

Humility = Greatness

Now, I think I'm starting to understand...

peace,
e

About me

  • I'm Jaqua (Jāy 'Quāy)
  • From Tampa, Florida, United States
My profile

Reading Schedule

9/22/2006 - Esther 10
9/23/2006 - Psalms 24
9/24/2006 - Psalms 25
.
.
9/30/2006 - Psalms 31
10/1/2006 - COMING SOON!
Search the Bible:


  HELP