« Home | A Man of Action - Nehemiah 1 » | Sing & Be Glad! - Proverbs 29 » | Letter to Osama - Proverbs 28 » | Death & Destruction - Proverbs 27 » | Rejoice Not! - Proverbs 24 » | The Victory Belongs to the Lord - Proverbs 21 » | Road Forks - Proverbs 20 » | The Planning Meeting - Proverbs 19 » | We Need Friends - Proverbs 18 » | Cover Over An Offense - Proverbs 17 » 

« Home | A Man of Action - Nehemiah 1 » | Sing & Be Glad! - Proverbs 29 » | Letter to Osama - Proverbs 28 » | Death & Destruction - Proverbs 27 » | Rejoice Not! - Proverbs 24 » | The Victory Belongs to the Lord - Proverbs 21 » | Road Forks - Proverbs 20 » | The Planning Meeting - Proverbs 19 » | We Need Friends - Proverbs 18 » | Cover Over An Offense - Proverbs 17 »

A Man of Courage - Nehemiah 2

Well, as you recall, God had given Nehi (can I call him that?) an extravagant vision or dream of rebuilding the walls and the gates of the great city of Jerusalem. But, Nehi works far away in Persia. How does one man leave his position in the government of Persia, go far away to distant lands and carry out such a task? God provides the answers...

One day, Nehi was in the same room as the King, just doing some governmental task, when suddenly the king strikes up a conversation with Nehi:

2 So the king asked me, "Why are you so sad? You aren't sick, are you? You look like a man with deep troubles."Then I was badly frightened, 3 but I replied, "Long live the king! Why shouldn't I be sad? For the city where my ancestors are buried is in ruins, and the gates have been burned down."

There it is. Nehi just blurted out what was going on. He admits he was frightened, but he spilled the beans anyway. I imagine Nehi had been carefully considering how to approach his "boss" the King about this plan that God had placed in his heart. But, it doesn't appear to me that this was the time Nehi had planned to bring it forth to his highness. Nehi was pre-occupied and afraid, yet he made his request. Now look what happens:

4 The king said to me, "What is it you want?" Then I prayed to the God of heaven, 5 and I answered the king, "If it pleases the king and if your servant has found favor in his sight, let him send me to the city in Judah where my fathers are buried so that I can rebuild it."

Did you see that? "Then I prayed to the God of heaven..." Nehi gathered his thoughts, realized that he needed supernatural help and said a quick prayer before he said anything else. Then He trusted God enough to continue and make his request.

Nehi's responsibility was not for the result, only for making the request. God took care of the rest and not only granted his wise requests of letters of protection and provision, but the King also provided an army and calvary to go with him!

I see in Nehi a man who understands "for such a time as this." Although he is just a servant, he realizes that God has given him a job to do - a huge job, but that does not deter him. He prays to God for help and proceeds to make his request known - then God takes care of the rest.

What job would God have you to do? We can step out in boldness if God has given us the vision. Pray for His help, then step out there. You never know how He can use you.

peace,
e

About me

  • I'm Jaqua (Jāy 'Quāy)
  • From Tampa, Florida, United States
My profile

Reading Schedule

9/22/2006 - Esther 10
9/23/2006 - Psalms 24
9/24/2006 - Psalms 25
.
.
9/30/2006 - Psalms 31
10/1/2006 - COMING SOON!
Search the Bible:


  HELP