« Home | I Believe! - John 20 » | Exactly As It Is - John 19 » | Denied! - John 18 » | Overcomer - John 16 » | Guilty Because You Claim You Can See - John 9 » | He IS in control - John 7 » | Where Else Would I Go? - John 6 » | God IS love - John 5 » | New Wine - Luke 5 » | True Worship - John 4 » 

« Home | I Believe! - John 20 » | Exactly As It Is - John 19 » | Denied! - John 18 » | Overcomer - John 16 » | Guilty Because You Claim You Can See - John 9 » | He IS in control - John 7 » | Where Else Would I Go? - John 6 » | God IS love - John 5 » | New Wine - Luke 5 » | True Worship - John 4 »

The Cost - John 21


Today, we end our reading in the book of John. And, we tie up several important stories (at least for me anyway).

We have that second miraculous catch of fish that brings us full circle. Remember when the disciples first met Christ? It was after they had been fishing all night and caught nothing. After they met Jesus and heart Him teach the people on the beach, He asked them to go fishing. Reluctantly, they agreed - only to catch the biggest catch in their careers. Until today, that is - when Jesus did it again at the end of His time here on earth.

Then, we see Jesus forgiving Peter - 3 times. That seems to correspond with the 3 times Peter denied Jesus.

As I read today, verses 18-19 jumped out at me:

18 The truth is, when you were young, you were able to do as you liked and go wherever you wanted to. But when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and others will direct you and take you where you don't want to go." 19 Jesus said this to let him know what kind of death he would die to glorify God. Then Jesus told him, "Follow me."

As Peter would soon find out, there's a cost to follow Jesus Christ...a significant cost. In Peter's case, it would require his life. Jesus is saying that while he is young he can move about on his own, but there will come a day when his freedom will be removed. As we know, Peter was martyred.

What's the cost for you? The familiar question comes to mind: "If you were accused of being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?"

Lord, while I'm able, please increase my faith. That way, when the time comes I will be ready to follow You no matter what the cost. Keep us flexible and soft-hearted, Lord, to hear You. Keep us teachable and accountable to each other as we grow.

Tomorrow's reading: We start 1 Peter. See you in the Word!

peace,
e

About me

  • I'm Jaqua (Jāy 'Quāy)
  • From Tampa, Florida, United States
My profile

Reading Schedule

9/22/2006 - Esther 10
9/23/2006 - Psalms 24
9/24/2006 - Psalms 25
.
.
9/30/2006 - Psalms 31
10/1/2006 - COMING SOON!
Search the Bible:


  HELP