« Home | We Need Each Other - Exodus 18 » | God Gets the Glory! - Exodus 14 » | Signs & Wonders - Exodus 13 » | Tradition - Exodus 12 » | Supernatural "Mind Control"? - Exodus 11 » | Smoke & Mirrors - Exodus 7 » | If Not You Then Who? - Exodus 5 » | So he turned & ran away - Exodus 3 & 4 » | Prince of Egypt - Exodus 2 » | God's Promises - Exodus 1 » 

« Home | We Need Each Other - Exodus 18 » | God Gets the Glory! - Exodus 14 » | Signs & Wonders - Exodus 13 » | Tradition - Exodus 12 » | Supernatural "Mind Control"? - Exodus 11 » | Smoke & Mirrors - Exodus 7 » | If Not You Then Who? - Exodus 5 » | So he turned & ran away - Exodus 3 & 4 » | Prince of Egypt - Exodus 2 » | God's Promises - Exodus 1 »

Prep Time - Exodus 19


In Exodus 19, we're seeing how God wants to deliver His message (the ten commandments) to His people. God asked Moses to tell them:

4
'You have seen what I did to the Egyptians. You know how I brought you to myself and carried you on eagle's wings. 5 Now if you will obey me and keep my covenant, you will be my own special treasure from among all the nations of the earth; for all the earth belongs to me. 6 And you will be to me a kingdom of priests, my holy nation.'

The people responded with,
"We will certainly do everything the LORD asks of us."

But when it came time, and God showed up, they were afraid:

16 On the morning of the third day, there was a powerful thunder and lightning storm, and a dense cloud came down upon the mountain. There was a long, loud blast from a ram's horn, and all the people trembled. 17 Moses led them out from the camp to meet with God, and they stood at the foot of the mountain. 18 All Mount Sinai was covered with smoke because the LORD had descended on it in the form of fire. The smoke billowed into the sky like smoke from a furnace, and the whole mountain shook with a violent earthquake. 19 As the horn blast grew louder and louder, Moses spoke, and God thundered his reply for all to hear.

Let's try a little interaction. Let me ask you a question. Why do you suppose God told Moses in verse 12:

12 Set boundary lines that the people may not pass. Warn them, 'Be careful! Do not go up on the mountain or even touch its boundaries. Those who do will certainly die!

And, again in verse 21:

21 Then the LORD told Moses, "Go back down and warn the people not to cross the boundaries. They must not come up here to see the LORD, for those who do will die.

And then in verse 24, He told Moses:

24 But the LORD said, "Go down anyway and bring Aaron back with you."

Any thoughts?

The encouragement for me in this chapter, is that God needs us to be prepared to hear His Word. That may mean different things for everyone, but for me, I can't expect to sit down for 10 minutes and expect to receive from the Lord as much as I would if I'd prepare: pray first, ask Him to show me something, make time to read and listen instead of rushing through. I can't do that every morning, but I can tell a difference on those mornings I do.

Make time for God today!

peace,
e

About me

  • I'm Jaqua (Jāy 'Quāy)
  • From Tampa, Florida, United States
My profile

Reading Schedule

9/22/2006 - Esther 10
9/23/2006 - Psalms 24
9/24/2006 - Psalms 25
.
.
9/30/2006 - Psalms 31
10/1/2006 - COMING SOON!
Search the Bible:


  HELP