« Home | Prince of Egypt - Exodus 2 » | God's Promises - Exodus 1 » | Fellow Servant? - Revelation 22 » | post-Revelationialism - What's Next? » | No More Sorrows - Revelation 21 » | Book or Books? - Revelation 20 » | Preperation Celebration - Revelation 19 » | Fall of Babylon? - Revelation 18 » | God is in Control! - Revelation 17 » | In My Bowl This Morning - Revelation 16 » 

« Home | Prince of Egypt - Exodus 2 » | God's Promises - Exodus 1 » | Fellow Servant? - Revelation 22 » | post-Revelationialism - What's Next? » | No More Sorrows - Revelation 21 » | Book or Books? - Revelation 20 » | Preperation Celebration - Revelation 19 » | Fall of Babylon? - Revelation 18 » | God is in Control! - Revelation 17 » | In My Bowl This Morning - Revelation 16 »

So he turned & ran away - Exodus 3 & 4

One of the things I love about dBragging is how I'm motivated to look for something interesting in each chapter. Some may question this motivation, but for me it makes me read differently. Rather than just reading, I'm looking for "nuggets" or "treasures" in the pages. Sometimes this is more of a challenge than other times.

Exodus 3

For what ever reason, I always thought the destination for the recently freed children of Israel was a mystery to Moses and those who would be traveling. I guess that was what I needed to think to justify a 40 year journey. This is not the case. Clearly, God told Moses from the beginning where the "promised land" is. As I have learned through the years, this land flowing with milk & honey was only 240 miles from where they started. So, not knowing what was ahead, Moses was concerned only with 2 things: 1) how am I going to convince Pharaoh to let all these slaves go? and 2) how am I going to convince all these slaves that God sent me.

God knew what would happen. As a matter of fact He spelled it out exactly as it would go:

19 "But I know that the king of Egypt will not let you go except under heavy pressure. 20 So I will reach out and strike at the heart of Egypt with all kinds of miracles. Then at last he will let you go. 21 And I will see to it that the Egyptians treat you well. They will load you down with gifts so you will not leave empty-handed. 22 The Israelite women will ask for silver and gold jewelry and fine clothing from their Egyptian neighbors and their neighbors' guests. With this clothing, you will dress your sons and daughters. In this way, you will plunder the Egyptians!"

Exodus 4

So he turned and ran away. When I read how Moses' staff turned to a snake, Moses's reaction disappointed me. Haha. I admit, I would likely have done no better. But, you'd think - after seeing the burning bush, realizing that God Almighty was conversing with you - what could a snake do?

To be truthful, Moses's conversation in these two chapters give me some kind of comfort. Like the "duh-ciples" in the New Testament, these "mighty men of God" we read about are really just like you and me: full of fears, full of "issues", full of doubts. I love this conversation with Moses & God:

10 But Moses pleaded with the LORD, "O Lord, I'm just not a good speaker. I never have been, and I'm not now, even after you have spoken to me. I'm clumsy with words." 11 "Who makes mouths?" the LORD asked him. "Who makes people so they can speak or not speak, hear or not hear, see or not see? Is it not I, the LORD? 12 Now go, and do as I have told you. I will help you speak well, and I will tell you what to say."

Still, God chooses the simple things to confound the wise.

Lord, in spite of all my failures, my weaknesses, my insecurities - use me to bring You glory!

peace,
e

About me

  • I'm Jaqua (Jāy 'Quāy)
  • From Tampa, Florida, United States
My profile

Reading Schedule

9/22/2006 - Esther 10
9/23/2006 - Psalms 24
9/24/2006 - Psalms 25
.
.
9/30/2006 - Psalms 31
10/1/2006 - COMING SOON!
Search the Bible:


  HELP