« Home | Follow in His Steps - I Peter 2 » | Joy! - I Peter 1 » | The Cost - John 21 » | I Believe! - John 20 » | Exactly As It Is - John 19 » | Denied! - John 18 » | Overcomer - John 16 » | Guilty Because You Claim You Can See - John 9 » | He IS in control - John 7 » | Where Else Would I Go? - John 6 » 

« Home | Follow in His Steps - I Peter 2 » | Joy! - I Peter 1 » | The Cost - John 21 » | I Believe! - John 20 » | Exactly As It Is - John 19 » | Denied! - John 18 » | Overcomer - John 16 » | Guilty Because You Claim You Can See - John 9 » | He IS in control - John 7 » | Where Else Would I Go? - John 6 »

The Flock & The Lion - 1 Peter 5


As I read today's chapter, I immediately thought of Wildmen and what God has put together.

2 Care for the flock of God entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly – not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. 3 Don't lord it over the people assigned to your care, but lead them by your good example. 4 And when the head Shepherd comes, your reward will be a never-ending share in his glory and honor.

I'm no pastor or elder. I don't work on the staff at a church. But, I do feel that God has brought me together with the leaders of Wildmen and that my responsibility to those men is much like what Pete is talking about here. Especially since we've branched out and started a Wildmen at another location, I feel God is using us (me) to open the hearts and eyes of many men who are seeking to have victory in this life. And, I will admit, there are times when the extra time it takes to prepare and pray and email these men leaves me feeling a bit selfish. There are times when I don't even want to do it any more.

But, this chapter speaks volumes. I'm to do this not for what I will get out of it, but because I'm eager to serve God. I AM eager to serve God - but it's easy to loose sight of what that means.

Who has God put you in charge over? Your wife? Your family? The men in your small group? What about those people at your work? What about those people who bring you your coffee at Denny's? Do you think about being a good example then? I know this chapter is to elders in the church, but are we not called to be prophet, priest & king of our homes? Maybe I'm way off on this, but I know God is speaking to me about serving Him by serving others - and not just those in my obvious Christian circles.

The other thing I want to mention in this chapter is verse 8:

8 Be careful! Watch out for attacks from the devil, your great enemy. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for some victim to devour.

This is always a good reminder for us. Satan, like lions, prowls around for those he's been able to isolate and injure. When he spots someone out there on their own, perhaps weakened by recent emotional hardships, financial difficulties, harsh words from a loved one, divorce, illness, unforgiveness, bitterness, etc., that's who he pounces upon - and destroys. We need each other. We need a place to be honest and real. Confession and repentance leading to restoration are key to our survival.

We need You, God! Thank You for the reminder today of how much we need You and how much we need each other.
peace,

e

P.S. - This is the last chapter of 1 Peter. Tomorrow, we start in II Peter. See ya in the Word!

About me

  • I'm Jaqua (Jāy 'Quāy)
  • From Tampa, Florida, United States
My profile

Reading Schedule

9/22/2006 - Esther 10
9/23/2006 - Psalms 24
9/24/2006 - Psalms 25
.
.
9/30/2006 - Psalms 31
10/1/2006 - COMING SOON!
Search the Bible:


  HELP