« Home | The Flock & The Lion - 1 Peter 5 » | Follow in His Steps - I Peter 2 » | Joy! - I Peter 1 » | The Cost - John 21 » | I Believe! - John 20 » | Exactly As It Is - John 19 » | Denied! - John 18 » | Overcomer - John 16 » | Guilty Because You Claim You Can See - John 9 » | He IS in control - John 7 » 

« Home | The Flock & The Lion - 1 Peter 5 » | Follow in His Steps - I Peter 2 » | Joy! - I Peter 1 » | The Cost - John 21 » | I Believe! - John 20 » | Exactly As It Is - John 19 » | Denied! - John 18 » | Overcomer - John 16 » | Guilty Because You Claim You Can See - John 9 » | He IS in control - John 7 »

Trust His Promises - 2 Peter 1

Ever get the feeling that you can't succeed as a Christian? Ever get the feeling that you will never make it?

Well, the good news is that it's not about you!

There are so many self-help books and sermons and ministries and video programs that try to teach us how to grow as a Christian. Unfortunately, many of the focus on what WE must do. Pete gives us a different approach. He says in this chapter that it's a simple matter of applying the benefits of God's promises.

Here's the progression:

verse 2 - May God bless you with special favor and wonderful peace as you come to know Jesus
verse 3 - As we know Jesus better, He gives us everything we need
verse 4 - He gives us promises that we'd escape the decadence around us
verse 5 - Apply these promises, then faith produces moral exellence
- Moral excellence leads to knowing God better
verse 6 - Knowing God better leads to self-control
- Self-control leads to patient endurance
- Patient endurance leads to godliness
verse 7 - Godliness leads to love for other Christians
- Finally you will grow to have genuine love for everyone

What's the beginning? God blessing us with His special favor and wonderful peace. What's the end? Genuine love for everyone.

Sometimes I try to jump in the middle and pray for self-control. I work on it. I make promises. I put tools in place. I try to set up accountability. I fail. Sometimes I try to improve my patience. I pray for patience. I memorize scripture. I listen to how-to CDs. I have others pray for me. I fail.

Today's encouragement is to TRUST GOD MORE. Don't pray for guidance. Don't pray for patience. Don't pray for peace.

Pray for more trust.

Get to know His promises. Trust in His promises. Get to know Him. Allow Him to change you as you apply these promises in your life.

It goes against everything in us as men, but God has called us to receive his own glory and goodness (verse 3).

peace,
e

About me

  • I'm Jaqua (Jāy 'Quāy)
  • From Tampa, Florida, United States
My profile

Reading Schedule

9/22/2006 - Esther 10
9/23/2006 - Psalms 24
9/24/2006 - Psalms 25
.
.
9/30/2006 - Psalms 31
10/1/2006 - COMING SOON!
Search the Bible:


  HELP