« Home | Declare His Glory! - Psalm 19 » | Guard me, Hide me, Protect me - Psalms 17 » | Always With Me - Psalms 16 » | Who May Worship? - Psalms 15 » | Intimacy with God - Psalms 13 & 14 » | No Weapon Shall Prevail - Psalms 11 & 12 » | Thank You God! - Psalms 9 & 10 » | God is Worthy! - Psalms 7 & 8 » | Happy Father's Day - Psalms 5,6 » | Peace & Joy - Psalms 3 & 4 » 

« Home | Declare His Glory! - Psalm 19 » | Guard me, Hide me, Protect me - Psalms 17 » | Always With Me - Psalms 16 » | Who May Worship? - Psalms 15 » | Intimacy with God - Psalms 13 & 14 » | No Weapon Shall Prevail - Psalms 11 & 12 » | Thank You God! - Psalms 9 & 10 » | God is Worthy! - Psalms 7 & 8 » | Happy Father's Day - Psalms 5,6 » | Peace & Joy - Psalms 3 & 4 »

Some Trust in Chariots - Psalms 20

This Psalm seems to have an interesting twist. In David's previous Psalms, it is clear that he is crying out to God for help or praising God directly for protecting him. We can easily imagine him penning these prayers and praises to God as we remember all that he went through from our reading of I & II Samuel.

But, this Psalm seems to be turned around. As I read it, I first thought that David is praying for his people. Look at the NLT version of the first 4 verses:

1 In times of trouble, may the LORD respond to your cry. May the God of Israel keep you safe from all harm. 2 May he send you help from his sanctuary and strengthen you from Jerusalem. 3 May he remember all your gifts and look favorably on your burnt offerings. 4 May he grant your heart's desire and fulfill all your plans.

Certainly a good model for us to review. It is good to pray for our brothers. At first, I thought this would be a great thing to mention to our men's group - an example to pray for each other. And it still is. But, upon further meditation, I started thinking that this prayer might be a prayer that David is presenting for his people to pray for him. Look at verses 5 & 6:

5 May we shout for joy when we hear of your victory, flying banners to honor our God. May the LORD answer all your prayers. 6 Now I know that the LORD saves his anointed king. He will answer him from his holy heaven and rescue him by his great power.

Why not? Paul and Peter were constantly asking people to pray for them. I could see how David might put out a prayer for the people to pray for their king. If you read this through as a person praying for David, it makes much more sense. If you read it as David praying for his people, verses 5 and 6 make less sense. I'm no Bible scholar so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts...

Of course, verse 7 is famous and a great declaration of trust in God (NKJV):

7 Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; But we will remember the name of the Lord our God.

Whom do you trust today?

Increase our trust in You today, Lord!

peace,
e

About me

  • I'm Jaqua (Jāy 'Quāy)
  • From Tampa, Florida, United States
My profile

Reading Schedule

9/22/2006 - Esther 10
9/23/2006 - Psalms 24
9/24/2006 - Psalms 25
.
.
9/30/2006 - Psalms 31
10/1/2006 - COMING SOON!
Search the Bible:


  HELP